Changes that affect reductions
If your details change you must tell us within 21 days to make sure you’re paying the right amount. If you do not and are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption you could be fined £70.
Please tell us if:
- you change your name
- you change address
- your circumstances change and you’re now eligible for a reduction
- your circumstances change and you’re no longer eligible for a reduction.
Changes that might make you eligible for a reduction or exemption
You may be eligible for a reduction or exemption in the following circumstances:
- if someone moves out and you now live alone you can claim a single person discount
- if someone in your house dies and you now live alone you can claim a single person discount
- if the property is empty because you’re permanently in care, hospital or if you’re away caring for someone you may
be able to claim an exemption
- if you’re a student or young person you may be able to claim a student discount or student exemption.
If you’re no longer eligible for a reduction
Certain changes to your circumstances could affect your right to an exemption or discount. To ensure that you get what you’re entitled to please keep us up to date.
You may no longer by eligible for a reduction if:
- someone comes to stay with you
- your property is no longer empty
- a previously unfurnished property is furnished
- a previously uninhabitable property is now habitable.
Update us if someone comes to stay with you or if a reduction or exemption you claim is no longer needed by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quote your payment reference number (as shown on your Council Tax bill) in the subject of your email. This will help us to deal with enquiry more efficiently.