Your contents are not covered as part of your tenancy agreement. You should consider what this policy would cover to help you make an informed decision on whether you need it.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be:

  • broken
  • damaged
  • stolen.

Home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Crystal Insurance Scheme

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist tenants contents insurance policies.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks. All tenants living in social and affordable housing can apply.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as:

  • furniture
  • carpets
  • curtains
  • clothes
  • bedding
  • electrical items
  • jewellery
  • pictures
  • ornaments.

About the scheme

You can apply for the Crystal Home Insurance Scheme over the phone or by email and you do not have to pay an excess.

You do not need to have any special door or window locks (just a lockable front door) and there are flexible pay-as-you-go payment options available (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

The scheme covers:

  • theft
  • water damage
  • fire
  • other household risks
  • tenants improvements (up to £2,000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms if keys are lost or stolen (up to £500).

Who this policy is for

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance.

Thistle have approached a single insurer: Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide the Crystal Insurance Scheme.

The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. You must read the policy wording carefully.

Download the home contents insurance policy wording.

The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the rate card. There is a transaction charge for fortnightly and monthly premiums.

For further information

If you have questions about the policy, you can contact Thistle Tenant Risk:


Before you apply you must read:

These documents tell you your rights and how we deal with you, your insurance and, key information regarding the cover.

All Thistle Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

You can apply by email or call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7286.

Download the home contents insurance application pack.


If you have a complaint or concern about this insurance or the handling of a claim, visit the Crystal Insurance complaints page.

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaint’s procedure is available on request.

More information

To find out more you can visit the Crystal Insurance website.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme is a product name arranged and administered by Thistle Tenant Risks a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited.

Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419.

Registered in England under No. 00338645.

Registered office:
Rossington's Business Park
West Carr Road
DN22 7SW

Thistle Insurance Services Limited is part of the PIB Group.

For information about how your personal data is handled, you can view the Crystal Insurance privacy policy.