Strategic development advice
Your work will be a strategic development if it’s for:
- 50 or more residential units
- 5,000 plus square metres floorspace
- a development on a site of 2 or more hectares (including any change of use of land or buildings)
- a proposal for a development requiring Environmental Assessment (EA).
Pre-application advice for strategic developments
Advice can be preliminary and full advice.
Preliminary advice will be high level and will only include if the principle of the proposal is acceptable.
Once validated, a planning officer will contact you to arrange a meeting in the office.
Full advice will include:
- details of any legal designations and limitations that affect the site
- key planning policy context and assessment of the scheme against planning policy
- identification of any other material considerations
- potential development contributions
- a summary of possible changes that may be needed to improve the scheme and, if possible, overcome objections
- identification of areas within the pre-application scheme that may need addressing or amending
- conclusion as to the likelihood of the scheme being accepted.
Expectations for full pre-application advice
For full advice, you can expect a meeting in office or on site in which:
- your enquiry will be registered, and within 10 working days you will be contacted. Either more information will be needed or the enquiry will have been registered, along with the details of the case
- we’ll offer you a meeting with officers within 10 working days
- a meeting will take place within 20 working days of registration or within an agreed timescale
- we’ll provide the notes from the meeting within 20 days.
View an example of written pre-application advice
Cost of strategic development pre-application advice
The fees for strategic development pre-application advice is:
- £439 for a preliminary advice meeting held at Gun Wharf
- £3,832 for full advice (meeting and written)
- charged per hour for officer follow up.
View our full list of pre-application planning advice fees