Get advice

Before applying for planning permission, it’s a good idea to meet or speak to a planning officer for pre-application advice to help you find out what you may need to provide in your application to get your planning proposals approved.

As a homeowner your work is likely to fall under Householder development.

Householder development

Your work will be a householder development if it’s for:

  • an extension to a dwelling, outbuilding or other development within the garden, not new dwellings
  • a garage
  • roof alterations
  • crossovers (dropped kerbs)
  • hardstanding (driveways)

Find out about pre-application advice for householder developments