Get advice

Before applying for planning permission, it’s a good idea to meet or speak to a planning officer to get pre-application advice that can help you find out what you may need to provide in your application to get your planning proposals approved.

This is especially important if your proposal affects a listed building or a building in a conservation area.

As a business owner your development is likely to be a minor development.

Find out more about pre-application advice for minor developments

Minor development

Your work will be a minor development if it’s for:

  • 1 to 9 residential units
  • Floor space up to 999 square metres
  • Shopfronts
  • Advertisements
  • Air conditioning/ventilation equipment
  • Telecommunications 
  • Listed building consent/repairs/pre-purchase advice (written advice)
  • Trees

Presentation to members

A presentation to members lets you engage with members early on so you can answer any questions, amend the scheme and supply any extra information needed. It also gives members a better understanding of the scheme in preparation for the Planning Committee.

This is best suited for significant or complex proposals such as major and strategic developments and will need to be agreed with your relevant Area Planning Manager.

Planning Performance Agreement (PPA)

For major and strategic developments, we also like to agree a planning performance agreement. A PPA lets local planning authorities and applicants agree timescales, actions and resources for handling certain applications.