Concerned about a child: actions and referrals

If the child is in immediate danger

In an emergency phone 999.

If you think the child is at immediate risk of harm phone us straightaway:

  • Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 01634 334 466
  • out of hours on 03000 419 191

Domestic abuse during coronavirus (COVID-19)

You can still get help during the coronavirus pandemic.

Find out more about domestic abuse

When to refer a child to Medway's children's services

Read our threshold guidance to find out when to refer a child to children’s services in Medway.

Request early help, parenting support or report your concerns about a child 

Use our online forms to:

  • report your concerns about a child or young person who may need help
  • request intensive early help intervention for a family in need (also known as family solutions)
  • refer a parent or parents for a parenting support programme

How to make a family solutions (early help) referral online.

How to report a child safeguarding concern online.

How to complete a parenting support programme referral.

What happens after your report or referral

Your report or referral will be received by the First Response Service, which includes the following teams:

  • the Single Point of Access (SPA) Team
  • the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)
  • the assessment teams needed to support and intervene in children’s care.

They will review your report, then decide what to do next. The information is then passed onto the right people who will decide what intervention is needed.

You’ll receive a copy of your report or referral to the secure email address you provided when completing the form.

Professionals will receive a letter with the outcome of our decision within 5 working days.

Keeping children safe

Our Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) is responsible for agreeing how organisations will work together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children in Medway.

Find out more on the Medway Safeguarding Children Partnership website.

Read guidance on working to safeguard children on GOV.UK.

To find out about adults safeguarding and how to report a concern, visit our Adult abuse and safeguarding page.

More information

To find out more about Early Help, visit the Medway Safeguarding Children Partnership (MSCP) website.