Check you need permission

For more information on what you need to do and what is permitted at different stages of developments, view the Planning Portal’s commercial or residential developments guidance

Article 4 Directions

Some developments will have Article 4 Directions attached which means that the projects will need planning permission for works would not normally be needed.

View dwellings with Article 4 Directions

Listed buildings and conservation areas

You may need permission for a development that doesn’t usually require planning permission if your work is in a conservation area of to a listed building. You can check if your building is listed or in a conservation area on Historic England.

Works on or near a main river

You’ll need our consent to carry out works in, on, over, under or near an ordinary watercourse or main river. Contact us to discuss your application and check if you need permission by emailing us at or phoning 01634 333 333.