If you're organising an event in Medway, such as a street party or parade, you can request a temporary road closure.

Find out how to request a road closure if you're planning a street party.

Demonstrations and parades are dealt with under Section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and occur mainly in Rochester and Chatham. Section 21 can also be used for street parties.

Request a road closure

If you need to close a road to carry out works on the highway, the accompanying street works will also need a permit.

Apply for a street works permit

Major events

Major events, such as the Tour de France or the Olympics, are dealt with under Section 16a Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

You can find guidance for major events on GOV.UK

To apply for a road closure for a major event, send a completed application form to traffic.management@medway.gov.uk

Download application form 

Temporary road closures and other roadwork restrictions

You can apply for a temporary road closure, also known as a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) and other roadwork restrictions under Section 14(1) of the Road Traffic regulation act 1984.

For example, you can apply for:

  • temporary closures
  • banned right turns.

To apply for a temporary road closure (TTRO) or other roadwork restrictions, send a completed application form to traffic.management@medway.gov.uk

Download application form for a temporary road closure (TTRO) 

In certain circumstances, this regulation can also be used for events.

We cannot help with road closures for funerals.

Parking suspensions

If you are completing works on the highway or in a public car park, you will need to apply to suspend parking bays.

Apply to suspend parking bays.