Statement of Gambling Policy

Medway Council's Statement of Gambling Policy was approved by the council and published in the local press and on the council website on 1 January 2016. It came into effect on 1 February 2016 and outlines the way the council, as the licensing authority, implements this legislation.

Download the Statement of Gambling Policy.

The background

The previous law on gambling was more than 30 years old, did not cater for modern technology or the internet and had not kept up with changes in society. The government reviewed the law to ensure that it can respond flexibly to future technological and market developments. The Gambling Act 2005 (the Act) received the Royal Assent on 7 April 2005.

The Act removed all responsibility for granting gaming and betting permissions from licensing justices. Instead, the Gambling Commission and local authorities between them assumed responsibility for all those matters previously regulated by licensing justices.

Licences and permits

The Gambling Commission is responsible for granting operating and personal licences to commercial gambling operators and people working in the industry. It will also regulate certain lottery managers and promoters.

Medway Council is the licensing authority and issues:


Private and non-commercial gaming and betting exemption covers:

  • private gaming
  • non-commercial gaming
  • domestic betting
  • workers' betting.

Non-gambling premises

Gaming machines are not allowed in taxi offices or takeaways (such as fish and chip, kebab or pizza shops).


Responsible authorities

Go to a list of the responsible authorities under the Gambling Act 2005 in Medway.


In all cases, 3 licensing objectives must be considered:

  • to prevent gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
  • to ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
  • to protect children and vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

For more information contact the Licensing Team by emailing or visit the Gravesham Borough Council website.

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR.