Local land charge searches

Local land charge searches give potential buyers important information from a local authority. You can post official searches to us on forms LLC1 (for information on property charges such as tree preservation orders) and CON29 (for matters such as assets of community value).

We would advise you to seek legal advice when buying or selling a property. We accept electronic searches sent via the National Land Information Service (NLIS).

Additional guidance about buying a home can be found at GOV.UK.

Official searches

Requests for official searches are usually emailed to us. They must be made on forms LLC1 and CON29 that are available from legal stationers.

You are required to send us a plan with the property clearly marked, for searches on commercial and industrial properties, new residential developments and searches where you ask CON29 questions. 

Official searches are guaranteed by the council under Section 10(3) of the Local Land Charges Act 1975.

Only postal addresses are required, plot numbers will not be accepted on search requests. 

Personal searches

If you are seeking to compile a response to a local authority search but do not want to view a public register or request the relevant information under the Environmental Regulations, you may request the following service.

The service allows you to:

  • use our enhanced verification service
  • request a report on the payment of the fee in respect to the Local Land Charges Register
  • pay for individual questions that appear on the Con29 to be responded to by local authority staff.

Only information contained in the Local Land Charges Register and provided by the council in a personal search of that register is guaranteed by the council under Section 10(3) of the Local Land Charges Act 1975.

You can request the service by downloading the Local Land Charges request for information form and submit it by emailing it to landcharges@medway.gov.uk.

Search results will be returned via email as PDF documents.

Payment can be made by debit or credit card by calling 01634 332 733.

Drainage searches

Medway drainage searches should be sent to Southern Water. For up-to-date details of Southern Water's services and fees, please visit Southern Water's website.

Deeds and boundaries

Find out more about queries relating to deeds, boundaries or private ownership on GOV.UK