Supervised running clubs are available at Medway Park and Strood Sports Centre. We cater for all abilities from beginners to experienced runners.
Running clubs in Strood:
- Strood Run Club: Strood Sports Centre, Tuesdays from 9.15am to 10am
- Strood Couch to 5K: Strood Sports Centre, Thursdays from 10.30am to 11.30am.
These sessions are part of your membership offer if it includes classes. The non-member price is £4 per person (plus non-members admission fee at Medway Park).
Ready 2 Run
If you want to get into running, we have beginner and intermediate sessions at Medway Park. Take that first step in a secure and safe environment with coaching drills and advice.
Sign up for our progressive training programme. You will receive personalised coaching and support in a small, friendly training group.
This 10-week course is due to begin a new group on Monday 25 April 2022, offering a free taster evening on Wednesday 20 April from 5:45pm to 6:45pm.
The group will run:
- Mondays: 5.30pm to 6.30pm at Medway Park track
- Wednesdays: 5.45pm to 6.45pm at Medway Park track.
Ready 2 Run is £4 a session or free as part of our Premier membership package.
Medway Sport Summer 5K Series 2022
Whether you’re new to running or a seasoned runner, we have some organised runs taking place in parks across Medway this year.
The 4 races will finish at Medway Park’s elite-
- Wednesday 6 July - Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve 5k: 7pm
- Wednesday 3 August - Capstone Country Park 5k: 7pm
- Wednesday 7 September - Riverside Country Park 5k: 7pm
- Wednesday 5 October - Medway Park 5k: 7pm.
- standard: £12 when booked in advance (£14 on the night)
- affiliated: £10 when booked in advance (£12 on the night)
- series: £40 for all 4 races (£32 affiliated) (booking in advance only or payment made at Capstone Ranscombe event).
The Medway 10k
The Medway 10k is part of Medway's Summer of Sport, managed by Nice Work with support from Medway Council. The race is suitable for runners of all abilities, from experienced athletes to those new to running.
The Medway 10k will be helping to raise money for Wisdom Hospice, and runners are encouraged to raise money to help the Hospice through sponsorship.
The race is chip-timed, and medals will be awarded to all finishers.
Prizes will be awarded to:
- leading runners
- age category winners
- first male and female UKA affiliated team.
The event is intended to be a family event and, in addition to the main 10k race, there are children’s races around the athletics track.
- Sunday 5 June 2022 - Medway Park: 9am.
- standard: £21 when booked in advance (£25 on the day)
- affiliated: £19 when booked in advance (£25 on the day)
- Fun Run: £4.
Medway Sport supports its local parkrun community.
- Great Lines parkrun: weekly free 5K timed run
- Medway junior parkrun: weekly free 2K timed event for juniors.
We also offer a dynamic and diverse range of community running clubs in Medway with free opportunities to run in a safe and friendly group environment.
Medway Sport are planning to launch 26 parks with one-mile routes. We want to encourage Medway residents to get active with a daily mile walk, jog or run in their nearest park.
The routes will be mapped out here and displayed in the parks.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the park mile routes:
- Hillyfields Park
- Victoria Gardens
- Jacksons Field
- Gillingham Park
- Lordswood Recreation Ground.
For more information email email@example.com.
Medway Daily School Mile
Create your own one-mile route around your school with our pack and young leader training. Encourage your pupils to lead an active and healthy lifestyle by moving for one mile a day. Try these fun ways:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Medway marathon routes
If you are looking for a big challenge, our resident running expert has devised 4 themed, marathon-length runs around Medway:
- Medway Sports Centres Marathon – this route passes by each of our sports centres and finishes at The Strand in Gillingham
- Medway Marathon Loop – this loop starts and finishes at Great Lines Heritage Park in Gillingham. It traces the outskirts of Medway, south of the River
- Medway Peninsula Marathon – a loop taking you past the sites and spectacular estuary views to the north of the River Medway
- Medway Marathon Point to Point – a point to point (P2P) route that starts at the furthest point in Grain, finishing at Splashes in Rainham.
Safety note: marathons should only be attempted by experienced runners capable of safely completing the 26.2 miles.