Latest update: Work begins at a new state of the art family friendly sports centre
Work has begun to build Medway’s new multi-million-pound family-friendly sports centre.
The new modern, family-friendly facility in Bloors Lane, Rainham, will have 2 swimming pools:
- a children’s fun pool with flume, wave ball pool and beach area
- a training pool for lane swimming and lessons.
It will also have a fitness gym and room for exercise classes and children’s parties.
Medway Council is investing £23.650 million on the new centre which supports its ambition of providing more child-friendly facilities and further opportunities for Medway’s young people.
The centre will have a modern, family-friendly look and feel, including family and accessible changing rooms. There will also be electric charging parking spaces, in support of Medway’s climate change and carbon neutral aims and ambitions.
Willmott Dixon Construction Limited is building the new centre which is anticipated to open as early as summer 2024.
Previous update: Plans unveiled for Medway's new sports centre
Proposed designs for the new state-of-the-art, family-friendly sports centre have been unveiled for the former Splashes site in Rainham.
The exciting proposals include 2 swimming pools:
- a training pool for lane swimming and lessons
- a children’s fun pool with flume, wave ball pool and beach area.
For those who prefer land-based activities, there will also be a fitness gym and room for exercise classes and children’s parties.
This modern new facility demonstrates our commitment to providing accessible facilities that serve all members of the community, including the elderly, less mobile as well as children and young people.
- four-lane 25-metre community pool and leisure pool with easy access steps and ladder with an integrated platform lift to ensure people of all levels of mobility can gain access
- wave ball pool
- beached kids pool, with play equipment and flume.
Fitness, health, and wellbeing facilities
- fitness gym and free weights areas with views of the park
- multi-purpose fitness studio for all your favourite group workouts and wellbeing sessions.
Accessible facilities are provided throughout.
Flexible and accessible changing facilities will include single, double and family sized changing rooms.
A café with a viewing area for parents and guardians will overlook the pool, and views across the surrounding park.
Outside the designs include additional cycle storage and electric vehicle charging parking spaces, as part of Medway’s climate change and carbon neutral aims and ambitions.
A computer-generated image of how the pool area may look. Credit: Space & Place.
A computer-generated image of how the entrance to the new sports centre may look.
A computer-generated image of how the new sports centre may look. Credit: Space & Place.