Moving in

If you've just moved into a new home, you can get information on settling in, details about your tenancy and the housing services we provide in our tenant handbook.

Before you move in, repairs will be done to bring the property to a good standard.

This doesn’t include:

  • providing carpets or furniture
  • arranging connection to a gas/electricity supplier or connecting a cooker
  • redecorating

When you sign up for the property, you will:

  • sign a tenancy agreement
  • be given important information and a chance to ask any questions
  • pay your weekly rent in advance as stated in your tenancy agreement
  • be told about a home contents insurance scheme available through Thistle at your sign-up.

If you keep to the terms of the introductory tenancy for 12 months your tenancy will become secure or flexible.

What to do when you move in

When you move in, you will need to:

  • connect your services
  • phone our contractor, Mears on 0800 0730 300 to turn on and test your chosen gas supply 
  • use a Gas Safe registered engineer to connect a gas appliance such as a cooker
  • insure your home and possessions
  • update your address with council tax department, housing benefit service and the electoral register
  • choose your telephone company and inform the water company of your new address
  • find out when your rubbish and recycling is due to be collected

We’ll insure the structure of your home but not your belongings, fittings or alterations you’ve made to the property. We recommend all council tenants get home contents insurance to protect against incidents such as accidental damage, theft and water leaks.

Find out more about home contents insurance

Gas and electricity suppliers

To find out who your gas and electricity supplier is, please call:

  • Gas - 0870 608 1524
  • Electricity - 0845 601 5467

(Please note that calls to these numbers may be charged.)

If you want to change supplier or set up an account with them you will need to contact these energy suppliers. It is also your responsibility to choose your own landline telephone company and to inform the water company of your new address.

Continous Recording of Social Housing lettings and Sales (CORE)

If your household has entered a new social housing tenancy, social housing providers will share your personal information with the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government for research and statistical purposes.

View the Privacy Notice for all social housing tenants of CORE data provider