Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Blue Badges
You can apply for or renew a Blue Badge, but due to the current situation our processing time may take longer than usual.
If you need a face to face assessment, we'll postpone this until further notice. We will not issue your Blue Badge until you've had your assessment.
If your Blue Badge has expired (since 1 January 2020) or is due to expire, you can continue to use it in council owned car parks whilst the current social distancing guidance is in place.
We will not issue you with Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) during this time. Make sure you continue to display your Blue Badge clearly in your car.
You cannot use your expired Blue Badge in private car parks.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
A Blue Badge allows people with disabilities to park close to their destination, as a driver or passenger. You can apply for a Blue Badge for yourself, on behalf of someone else or as an organisation that cares for disabled people.
You can apply for a Blue Badge up to 14 weeks before it is needed.
It may take up to 12 weeks to process your application.
If you apply online you may get your badge earlier.
What you’ll need
You may get your badge sooner if you provide the correct evidence when you apply, this includes:
- proof of eligibility
- proof of identity (such as a passport or driving licence)
- proof of address (less than 12 months old), unless you give us permission to check your Council Tax record
- proof of benefits (if you get any)
- photo showing your head and shoulders
- details of your current Blue Badge (if you’re renewing)
Your proof must be clear and readable.
Proof of eligibility
You'll need to provide proof that you're eligible before we can issue you with a Blue Badge.
Find out what proof of eligibility you’ll need to provide for each eligibility category.
You could qualify if you get any of the following:
- the higher rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance. View an example of what you’ll need to upload
- 8 points or more under the 'Moving around' category of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP). View an example of what you’ll need to upload
- War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) award, tariffs 1 to 8 and have been assessed by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty walking
- are registered blind or severely sight impaired
- you have a DS 1500 for a terminal illness
You may qualify if you have:
- a permanent disability or condition which means you have difficulty walking
- a disability in both arms and drive a vehicle regularly, but cannot use parking machines
- the mobility component of PIP and have 10 points specifically for Descriptor E under the 'planning and following journeys' activity, as you're unable to undertake journeys because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress. View an example of what you’ll need to upload
- a hidden disability or non-physical condition, causing severe struggle with journeys
- a child under 3 years old that needs to be transported with bulky medical equipment for urgent treatment
- a child under 3 years old that always needs to be near a vehicle so they can be treated or driven to a place for treatment for a permanent illness
Proof of identity
We must check your identity before we can issue you with a Blue Badge.
You'll need to provide a copy of one of the following:
- driving licence
- birth certificate or adoption certificate
- marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
- divorce certificate
Proof of current address in Medway
If you give us consent to check your Council Tax record you do not need to provide proof that you live in Medway.
If you do not give us consent to check your record, you’ll need to provide a copy of one of the following:
- Medway Council Tax bill
- utility bill
- bank statement
Your documents must be dated within the last 12 months.
For new applications you’ll need to provide a photo to be displayed on your badge. Your photo should be of your head and shoulders, similar to passport photos.
For renewals you can provide a new photo or we can use the photo on your current Blue Badge.
We'll accept electronic documents, scanned copies or clearly readable photographs of your proof.
Blue Badges cost £10 whether it’s your first one or you’re renewing or replacing it.
If you apply online we'll email you to request payment once your badge has been approved.
If you do not apply online, and do not provide an email address, we'll contact you by phone or letter when your application has been approved and we need payment.
You should receive your Blue Badge within 21 days of us receiving your payment.