Go to navigation

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they are physically or mentally disabled. The Care Component has three rates of payment and the Mobility Component has two rates of payment.

You can claim DLA if:

  • you have a physical or mental disability, or both
  • your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or you have walking difficulties, or both
  • you are younger than 65 when you claim
  • you can get DLA whether or not you work
  • it isn't affected by any savings or income you may have.

How do you satisfy the disability conditions for an award of DLA?

Care Component:

  • be aged from birth up to your 65th birthday
  • you need frequent care and/or a lot of supervision during the day and night with washing, dressing, mobility indoors, taking medication, communication, seeing, hearing etc.
  • you need this help during the day or the night but not all day or all night
  • you cannot prepare a main meal of the day
  • you have a terminal illness.

Mobility component:

  • be aged from three years to your 65th birthday for the higher rate
  • be aged from five years to your 65th birthday for the lower rate
  • you are unable or virtually unable to walk
  • the exertion required to walk could be risk to your health
  • you have severe behavioural problems due to mental disability
  • you need guidance or supervision out of doors from another person
  • you are both deaf and blind and need someone with you when outdoors.

How to claim

Application forms can be obtained online at GOV.UK or by phoning 0800 88 22 00 or 08457 123456.

DLA is being replaced by PIP (Personal Independence Payment from April 2013 – See PIP Fact sheet for further details)

Disability Living Allowance leaflet

Download the Disability Living Allowance leaflet (pdf 90KB).

To use this file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it on your computer, please use the advice page.