Go to navigation

Education, Health and Care plans

Sometimes a child or young person needs a higher level of specialist support than is available in school, or other places they’re cared for.

When this is the case, you can ask Medway Council for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

What a EHC plan is

An EHC plan helps young people aged 0-25 who have special educational needs (SEN). It looks at their educational, health and social requirements - and then identifies any extra support needed to insure they get most out of further education and training.

For the first time, it puts education, health and social information together into one plan. And during the EHC assessment process, the child and family are kept central to the process.

How to get an Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessment

You can request an EHC assessment if you’re a parent, a school or you work with children aged 0-16.

Young people over the age of 16 can also request an EHC assessment. But if they’re aged between 16 and 18, their parents must be copied in to all correspondence relating to the request.

If the young person is over 18, you can make a request as a parent. But this is only if you can show the young person doesn’t have the mental capacity to make the request themselves.

How to make an EHC request

If you’re a parent

Put your EHC request into writing, making sure you include:

  • The child or young person's full name, date of birth and address.
  • A short description of their needs.
  • Any evidence that may be available eg. a medical letter to confirm a diagnosis or professional reports.

When we receive your request, the SEN team will then contact the child or young person's school or FE college for further information. You will then be contacted by a SEN Officer who will explain the process and the timescales to you.


If you’re a school or FE college

You need to submit six copies of a completed school EHC advice form together with a costed provision map and supporting evidence eg. a speech and language report, medical letter etc.*


All other professionals

You can make a request for an EHC assessment for a child or young person with whom you have involvement by writing to the SEN team and including copies of related evidence from your professional perspective.*

*All reports should be dated within six months of the date of the request


Forms used in EHC assessments

Send your request to:

Medway SEN Team. Level 4 Gun Wharf,

Dock Road, Chatham,

Kent ME4 4TR.

Or email us at seneducationteam@medway.gov.uk

What happens next

Once your request is received, you’ll receive a written receipt. You will then be contacted by a SEN Officer who will explain the process to you.

At this point, further evidence is usually requested from you, the child's school or young person's FE college, or any other professionals involved.

Your application will then be considered within six weeks by the decision making group, (DMG).


Gathering information

If your assessment is agreed, further reports will be sought from an educational psychologist, involved professionals, the child or young person themselves, parents (if the child or young person is under the age of 18) and anyone else from whom parents or young person would like the SEN team to seek a report.


Discussions together

Next a meeting takes place at the child or young person’s school or college. It’s a time for parents/ the young person to ask questions and go through the reports and discuss the outcomes sought for the child/ young person. This is called a Summary of Assessment Meeting (SAM). Please note that no decisions will be made at this meeting.

The reports are then returned to the DMG to make a final decision on whether a proposed Education, Health or Care Plan (EHCP) should be issued.


What to do if you disagree with the EHC assessment decision

You have the right to challenge if you disagree with our decisions on:

  • not proceeding with an EHC needs assessment
  • not producing an EHC plan, or
  •  the special educational support that is included in the EHC plan

Medway Council provides a number of disagreement resolution and mediation services to support you in challenging your decision.

Further information

You can view an explanation of often-used terms (pdf 62KB) to do with EHC and SEND.

This presentation explains the transfer from Statement of SEN to EHC and Medway's aims.

Request information regarding the statutory EHC plan or transfer process online or phone the SEN team on 01634 33 11 23.

EHC plans are replacing the SEN needs statement

Between September 2014 and March 2018 children and young people previously with a SEN statement will be transferred to an EHC plan at a special person-centred annual review, called a transfer review.

See the new process illustrated.

EHC plans will be reviewed annually, and the school will organise a person-centred annual review to make sure the child or young person is reaching their planned goals.

Personal budget

During the planning process you may qualify for a personal budget from social care, health or, in a small number of cases, education. This will give you more say on how money is spent on your child’s needs.


Phase transfer and further education

Parents of year five children, for a child with a Statement/ Education Health and Care Plan will be contacted in June/ July and asked to provide their preference for secondary school.

Year 10 parents are also contacted and asked to provide a preference for post 16 placement. The views of the child will also be taken into account with regard to post 16 preference.

Until March 2018, the local authority will convert all existing Statements to an EHCP at phase transfer.  A Transfer Review will be held to discuss the conversion with parents and the child.

At the end of year 12, the young person will need to consider what they wish to do at the end of their 16-18/19 courses.

A year 12 person-centred annual review will ask the young person whether they wish to continue with their education or training.

The Statement will be converted to an EHCP if the young person wishes to continue their education in an FE College, on an accredited training course/ apprenticeship.

Medway Council employs the services of the Medway Youth Trust to assist young people with Statements (or EHCPs) in applications for college, training or apprenticeships. Further information regarding applications to Post 16 colleges for young people with SEND can be found in the related Medway Guidance.

Download forms for EHC assessment

Forms for parents/carers

Forms for children/ young person

Forms for professionals


Go back to the top