Go to navigation

Council tax reductions for carers

When counting the members of a household for the purpose of council tax, carers can be disregarded.

If the number of adult residents who are not disregarded is either one or none a discount may apply.

Carers must provide either

  • Care or support on behalf of the Crown or a charity or employed by the person receiving care having been introduced by a charity. Care must be provided for at least 24 hours a week and payment must not exceed £44 per week. The carer must be resident in premises provided by their employer. Or
  • Care for a person receiving attendance allowance or equivalent and live with the person they provide care for. The carer cannot be the spouse or civil partner of the person receiving care or the parent if the care recipient is under 18.

Apply for a carer discount