The Freedom of Information Act (FOI) requires the council to provide a publication scheme. This is to let people know the information we make available.
Our publication scheme identifies:
- information published by Medway Council
- how that information can be obtained
- any charge made for the information.
The information covered by the act also includes information published on this and other websites.
Our publication scheme is approved by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). The ICO is responsible for promoting good practice and ensuring compliance with Freedom of Information (FOI) and data protection laws.
Who we are and what we do
Find out about organisational information, locations and contacts, constitutional and legal governance below.
- cabinet members
- the council’s constitution
- the council’s democratic structure
- current elected councillors
- organisation structure chart
- most recent election results
- Members of Parliament
- Police and Crime Commissioner
- councillors’ allowances and expenses
- more about your council.
Relationships with other councils
We work in partnership with other councils.
- key services provided by other councils
- new premises licence
- business licences
- pavement licences
- taxi licences.
Locations and buildings
Our locations and buildings include:
- Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR
- Kingsley House, 37 to 39 Balmoral Road, Gillingham, ME7 4PF
- Medway Register Office, Northgate, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1LS
- youth centres
- sports centres
- libraries and community hubs
- family hubs
- parks and green spaces
- crematoriums and cemeteries
- arts and heritage venues
- ceremony and occasion venues.
What we spend and how we spend it
Financial information relating to projected and actual income and expenditure, tendering, procurement and contracts.
- where the council's money comes from
- budget and financial statements
- accounts and audit statements
- spending data
- contracts and tenders:
- Council Tax
- staff salaries
- organisation chart
- senior officer salaries
- details of staff allowances for example, travel and subsistence are available from our HR department
- external auditor’s reports are available from the Audit Committee unless an exemption applies.
What our priorities are and how we are doing
Strategy and performance information, plans, assessments, inspections, and reviews.
- Council Strategy
- Council Plan
- Medway Local Plan
- Forward Plan 2020 to 2021
- our priorities
- housing performance and annual reports
- Medway Safeguarding Children Partnership
- inspection reports are published by the appropriate external agencies:
How we make decisions
Our decision making processes, internal criteria and procedures, consultations.
- councillors and decision making
- overview and scrutiny
- public consultation and analysis of surveys and opinions
- calendar of meetings
- attend a council meeting.
Our policies and procedures
Our written protocols for delivering our functions and responsibilities.
- data protection
- your rights
- Freedom of Information
- housing policies
- planning policies
- Local Plan
- Council Plan
- working for the council
- customer service:
Lists and registers
Information held in registers required by law and other lists and registers relating to the functions of the council.
- The Electoral Register
- The Open Register
- The Register Office
- Register of Members' Interests
- public rights of way
- find a councillor.
The services we offer
Information about the services we offer including advice and guidance, booklets and leaflets, transactions and newsletters:
- adult social services
- arts and heritage
- children and families
- Council Tax reduction scheme and Housing Benefit
- economic development
- environmental services and community safety
- health improvement
- highways and public transport
- leisure services
- Local Offer (SEND)
- planning services
- private landlord advice
- property repairs
- roads and pavements
- The Rochester Corn Exchange
- trading standards
- waste collection, disposal and recycling
- youth services
- communication services:
Some information is excluded from publication and where this is the case, we clearly state the reason.
General correspondence sent or received by the council is excluded throughout the scheme, as is all information relating to private individuals because it is personal data protected under the Data Protection Act 1998.
In certain cases, a limit has been placed on the age of some documents that will be made available under the scheme.
Not all information we publish is in the publication scheme. You can make an FOI request to view any information that is not routinely published, with some exemptions.
Request personal data
Under the Data Protection Act individuals may request copies of their personal data held by the council.
Request information in an accessible format
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille complete our online form:
Or phone 01634 333 333.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you within 20 working days.
Our Community Interpreting Service will translate documents into other languages.
Charges and fees
There is no charge for accessing publication scheme information available on our website.
We may charge a fee if a large amount of printed material is needed. We will tell you about any photocopying fees at the time of your request.
Contact and feedback
Any feedback you provide will be used in our reviews to make improvements to the publication scheme.
Send your feedback to: email@example.com.
Or write to:
Information Governance Team, Legal Services
Kent, ME4 4TR
Find out how to make a comment, compliment, or complaint on our contact page.
Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Get more information about the publication scheme and the Freedom of Information Act from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):
Phone: 01625 545 745
Write to: ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office), Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF